As the Greater Toronto Area continued to grow back in the late 1950's and early 1960's, the Diocese of Toronto, a member of the larger Anglican Church of Canada and world-wide Anglican Communion, saw that the area of North Bramalea would eventually see some of this growth. In 1962, the diocese purchased a two acre lot at 1000 Central Park Drive. In the summer of 1977, a portable church building was installed on the site, and on Sunday, September 11, 1977, the first service was held.
The local community continued to gather in that portable building until it became evident that the community of believers and worshipers needed a permanent home. Construction began on the current 250 seat church building in the Spring of 1980 and opened on December 8, 1980. The official service of Dedication took place on March 1, 1981.
As a community of believers, we have gathered here and continue to gather here for worship, for mutual support, for companionship, for teaching and learning, and as our Parish motto says, "for service to the greater community".
The name of the Parish was taken in honour of St. Jude, one of the twelve apostles chosen by our Lord, Jesus Christ, and in remembrance of another Parish of the same name in the Diocese of Toronto that had recently closed. In honour and remembrance of that Parish, the current Parish of St. Jude received a number of very valuable artifacts including: the "eagle' lectern, the hymn boards, the "bishop's" chair, the pulpit and many of the stained glass windows. Other items were also received from various places giving the Parish a "history" beyond its' own. Current and past parishioners have also been instrumental in beautifying our current worship space.
Over the past thirty years, the parish of St. Jude has continued in the 2000 year history of Christianity: in theological learning and in the evolution of Chistianity, always being faithful to Almighty God through His indwelling Spirit. We continue today, as in past years, in the Apostles' teaching and fellowship, in the breaking of the bread, and in the prayers.
We invite you to join with us in this ever evolving worship of Almight God with the same vitality that has marked the Christian Church for the past two millennia.